Last updated September 14, 2020
RemoteMode, LLC. is the data controller of your information. Please see the “Contact Information” section below for additional details. Please note that if you obtain access through Sponsored Services or our Employee and Enterprise Sponsored Access Services, the third-party sponsoring your participation in the Online Courses may provide us information subject to our agreement with them and therefore the third-party sponsor may be the controller with respect to such data.
Important Information About Using Our Services
What Information We Collect
Information You Provide Us
We collect a variety of information that you provide directly to us. In general, we collect information from you through:
- Using any of our Services, including registering for a User Account through the Website(s);
- Making a purchase from us, including registering and enrolling in any Online Course;
- Signing up for email updates;
- Uploading or posting to public forums included through the Services;
- Submitting requests or questions to us via forms or email;
- Requesting customer support and technical assistance;
The types of data we collect directly from you include:
- Name, address, telephone number and email address;
- Log-in credentials, if you register a User Account with us;
- Information about purchases or other transactions with us, such as your shipping address. Please note, however, that we do not collect, store, or transmit financial account information. Instead, we use a third-party payment processor to process our payments;
- Information about your customer service and maintenance interactions with us;
- Demographic information, such as your gender, socio-economic status, and other personal information;
- Information you provide to us in connection with any application or admissions process, including, for example, educational and work experience, prerequisite knowledge, any pre-assessment you complete, your goals, and other information;
- Information you provide in connection with career services, for example, salary information, job placement information, career goals, work experience, and other information;
- User-generated content you upload or post to public forums through the Services. Information needed in order to comply with any procedures, laws, and regulations which apply to us where it is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others;
- Information from third parties about you in connection with any referral programs we may offer;
- Any other information you choose to directly provide to us in connection with your use of the Services;
Participation in Online Courses
If you desire to participate in an Online Course, you will be asked to provide us with certain information necessary to conduct such an Online Course. This information may include, among other things, your name and email address. RemoteMode, or its third-party service providers, may also collect certain information from you in conjunction with assignments, exams and other assessments related to the Online Course. For example, as part of a proctored exam for an Online Course or to process your verified certificate of accomplishment, RemoteMode (or its third party service providers) may collect certain information from you in order to (a) verify or authenticate your identity or submissions made by you, such as a signature for a test or assignment log, a photograph or recording of you (e.g., using a webcam) or information included on a government issued or other photo identification card or document, or (b) monitor your performance during an exam to confirm that you are abiding by the applicable test rules or requirements (e.g., confirming that you are not using prohibited resources). RemoteMode may also collect information from you or about your performance or accomplishments related to the course, such as quiz/exam scores, grades, project evaluations, teacher evaluations and other evaluations of your performance or accomplishments.
Profiles and Career Services
You can choose to share additional information, such as your work experience, resume and transcript, your picture, and answers to questions about your experience, studies and work preferences, when you create a professional profile through the career services we offer through our Services. You can also share information by updating your Profile, uploading documents, or answering questions or surveys we email you or present to you through our Services. Collectively, the professional profile and the materials you provide through the career services are referred to as simply your “Profile.”
Please note, that by electing to make your Profile public, you acknowledge that:
- Your Profile and all the included information, materials, documents and pictures will be shared with, and publicly viewed by, other third parties also accessing the career services portal and the Services (including without limitation, potential employers, recruiters, other students or persons, and us);
- Employers and other third parties accessing the career services portal can contact you via your email address (or any other contact information you have provided in your Profile); and
- You and We can share your Profile and all the included information, materials, documents and pictures with employers, recruiters or career related third parties.
Information We Collect Through Automated Means
We also use or may use these technologies to help us determine and identify repeat visitors, the type of content and sites to which a user of our Website(s) links, the length of time each user spends at any particular area of our Website(s), and the specific functionalities that users choose to use.
We may allow third party companies, including advertising companies (such as Facebook, Google, Twitter, Quora and Bing), to place cookies on our website. These cookies enable such companies to track your activity across various sites where they display ads and record your activities so they can show ads that they consider relevant to you as you browse the Internet. These Cookies store information about the content you are browsing together with an identifier linked to your device or IP address.
These Cookies also allow us and third parties to know whether you’ve seen an ad or a type of ad, and how long it has been since you’ve last seen it. This information is used for frequency capping purposes, to help tailor the ads you see, and to measure the effectiveness of ads. For more information about online advertising and how you can control or disable these cookies, please see our Cookies Policy.
Do Not Track Signals
Currently, we do not monitor or take any action with respect to Web browser signals or other mechanisms for the expression of choice regarding collection of information about an individual over time and across third-party web sites or online services (e.g., Web browser “do not track” signals).
Information We Collect from Social Media and Other Content Platforms
We may offer certain Users the opportunity to refer (Referrers) their friends (“Referees”) to the Site through a third-party referral program whereby both Referrers and Referees may obtain credits or other rewards through such referrals. To the extent we offer such programs, the Referrers may share information about the Referees, including email addresses for the purpose of sharing the referral offer. We may also share the Referrer’s email and name with the Referee as well as provide the Referer the confirmation of the Referee’s acceptance of the referral which may include Referee’s email in connection with providing any such referral program.
How We Use The Information We Collect
We use your information for various purposes depending on the types of information we have collected from and about you and the specific services you use, in order to:
- Send you information in connection with the Services;
- Respond to your communications and requests;
- Manage and process Online Courses, including but not limited to tracking attendance, progress and completion; administering exams, projects, and other assessments; verifying a User’s identity as part of a proctored exam or exit interview for an Online Course; and monitoring performance during an exam to confirm that you are abiding by the applicable testing rules or requirements;
- Provide Services to you, such as services that you request in conjunction with the Online Courses;
- Contact you by email, postal mail, or phone (including via SMS messages) regarding RemoteMode and third-party products, services, surveys, research studies, promotions, special events and other subjects that we think may be of interest to you;
- Customize the content we provide through the Services;
- Help us better understand your interests and needs, and improve the Services;
- Engage in analysis, research, and reports regarding use of the Services;
- Secure the Services;
- Comply with any procedures, laws, and regulations which apply to us where it is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others;
- Establish, exercise, or defend our legal rights where it is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others;
We may aggregate and/or anonymize any information collected through the Website so that such information can no longer be linked to you or your device (“Aggregate/Anonymous Information”). We may use Aggregate/Anonymous Information for any purpose, including without limitation for research and marketing purposes, statistical analyses of Website(s) usage, and may also share such data with any third parties, including advertisers, promotional partners, and sponsors.
How We Share and Disclose Your Information
RemoteMode will share your information in the following ways:
- Service Providers. We provide access to or share your information with operations and maintenance contractors and other third parties who perform services on our behalf. They have access to perform these services but are prohibited from using your information for other purposes. They provide a variety of services to us, including billing, sales, marketing, test proctoring, product content and features, advertising, analytics, research, customer service, data storage, security, fraud prevention, payment processing, and legal services.
- Employers. We may share the information that we collect from you when you participate in an Online Course if the course is sponsored or paid for by your employer. For example, we may share with your employer pre-assessment results, the Online Courses you are interested in, your progress in the course, including project status, time spent actively involved in or with an Online Course or interacting with your Mentor, and/or evaluations and performance assessments. If you make your Profile public on the Website, and your employer has access to the Website, then your employer will have the ability to view your Profile information and materials. This information may be shared at any time during the course or afterwards.
- Business Partners. With your consent, RemoteMode may share information that can be used to directly connect you with third party business partners, such as companies that may be offering products or services or other opportunities that may be of interest to you.
- Profiles and Career Services. If you make your Profile public, your information will be publicly accessible and further share with our network of hiring partners, including, without limitation, performance in online courses, demographic information (such gender), details of your Profile and other information related to your work experience and goals.
- Related Entities and Affiliates. We may share information with our affiliated companies that are under the common ownership or control of RemoteMode, LLC.
- Business Transfers. As we continue to develop our business, we may buy, merge, or partner with other companies. In such transactions, (including in contemplation of such transactions) user information may be among the transferred assets. If a portion or all of RemoteMode’s assets are sold or transferred to a third-party, customer information (including your email address) would likely be one of the transferred business assets. If such transfer is subject to additional mandatory restrictions under applicable laws, RemoteMode will comply with such restrictions.
- Aggregate/Anonymous Information. From time to time, RemoteMode may share Aggregate/Anonymous Information about use of the Services, such as, but not limited to, publishing a report on usage trends or survey results, as well graduation rates, careers studies and success rates, and other demographic information provided to us by our Students. The sharing of such data is unrestricted.
Data Subject Rights and Your Choices
You may have certain rights with respect to your information as further described in this section.
Your Legal Rights
If you would like further information in relation to your legal rights under applicable law or would like to exercise any of them, please contact us using the information in the “RemoteMode Contact Information” section below at any time. Your local laws, such as in the European Union, may permit you to request that we:
- provide access to and/or a copy of certain information we hold about you;
- prevent the processing of your information for direct-marketing purposes (including any direct marketing processing based on profiling);
- update information which is out of date or incorrect;
- delete certain information which we are holding about you;
- restrict the way that we process and disclose certain of your information;
- transfer your information to a third-party provider of services;
- revoke your consent for the processing of your information;
We will consider all requests and provide our response within the time period stated by applicable law. Please note, however, that certain information may be exempt from such requests in some circumstances, which may include if we need to keep processing your information for our legitimate interests or to comply with a legal obligation.
To the extent that you make such a request, we require certain information to help verify your request and prevent fraudulent information and removal requests. Specifically, we ask that you provide the following pieces of information:
- Username and email address associated with your RemoteMode User Account;
- Online Courses currently or previously enrolled in;
- Approximate date of User Account registration;
- Information you want to view and/or request removed;
- Country of residence; and
- A statement under penalty of perjury that all information in your request is truthful and that this is your User Account or that you have the authorization to make the request on behalf of the owner of the User Account.
Depending on the circumstances and the information you request, we may require additional methods of verification in our discretion.
Communications & Notification Preferences and Opting Out
We provide our Users with the opportunity to update their information or to opt out of having their contact information used for purposes not directly related to payment or servicing of your account.
- Contact us by email at [email protected]
Please identify the communication methods (e.g., phone, email, or SMS text message) by which you desire to stop receiving messages.
You may unsubscribe from our commercial or marketing email communications at any time by following the unsubscribe instructions located at the bottom of such emails. If you have opted in to receive marketing text message communications from RemoteMode, you can opt out of those messages by following the instructions in those messages or by contacting us at the information provided above.
Retention of Your Information
We keep your information for no longer than necessary for the purposes for which it is processed. The length of time for which we retain information depends on the purposes for which we collected and use it and/or as required to comply with applicable laws.
Third Party Links and Features
RemoteMode is intended for general audiences and not for children under the age of 13. If we become aware that we have inadvertently collected “personal information” (as defined by the United States Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act) from children under the age of 13 without legally-valid parental consent, we will take reasonable steps to delete it as soon as possible. We also comply with other age restrictions and requirements in accordance with applicable local laws.
RemoteMode stores information about visitors to our Website and users on servers located in the United States. By using our services, you consent to the storage of your information inside the United States. If you are using the services from outside the United States and the European Union, please know the information you submit will be transferred to and stored in servers in the United States or other countries. The data protection and other laws of the United States and/or other countries might not be as comprehensive as those in your country. By submitting your data and/or using our services, you acknowledge the transfer, storing, and processing of your information in and to the United States.
As described above, RemoteMode also may subcontract the processing of your data to, or otherwise share your data with, service providers and others in countries other than your country of residence, including the United States, in accordance with applicable law. Such third parties may be engaged in, among other things, the provision of services to you, the processing of transactions and/or the provision of support services. By providing us with your information, you acknowledge any such transfer, storage or use.
If applicable, you may make a complaint to the data protection supervisory authority in the country where you are based. Alternatively, you may seek a remedy through local courts if you believe your rights have been breached.
How We Protect Your Information
We consider the confidentiality and security of your information to be of the utmost importance. RemoteMode takes a variety of technical, administrative, and physical measures to protect your information from disclosure to or access by third parties. Please note that we do not guarantee the security of information, as no method of internet transmission or storage is completely secure. Also note that we may retain and store your information in our databases and systems even after your RemoteMode user account is deactivated as long as we have a legitimate purpose to do so and in accordance with applicable law.
California Privacy Rights
To opt out of sharing your personal information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes, please e-mail us at [email protected] and clearly state your request, including your name, mailing address, e-mail address and phone number.
RemoteMode Contact Information
Email: [email protected]
EU-US And Swiss-US Privacy Shield
Your rights regarding your personal information
The European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation and other data protection laws grant you certain rights in relation to your personal information. Where applicable to you, you can:
- request access to your personal information and how we process it;
- request correction of the personal information that we hold about you;
- ask us to delete your personal information;
- object to us processing your personal information;
- request the restriction of processing of your personal information;
- request the transfer of your personal information to you or to a third party;
- withdraw consent at any time where we are relying on consent to process your personal information.
Note that withdrawing your consent to our processing of your information will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent. You should also be aware that if you do withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide certain services to you. Where this is the case, we will let you know at the time you withdraw your consent. Please note that even after you have withdrawn your consent we may be able to continue to process your personal information to the extent required or otherwise permitted by law, in particular in connection with exercising and defending our legal rights or meeting our legal and regulatory obligations. In cases of onward transfer to third parties of data of EU and Swiss individuals received pursuant to the EU-US Privacy Shield and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework, RemoteMode remains liable.
With respect to EU and Swiss Personal Data received or transferred pursuant to the Privacy Shield framework, RemoteMode is subject to the regulatory investigation and enforcement powers of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Local storage is technology which allows a website or an app to store and retrieve data on your mobile phone or other device. We use local storage to enable certain features, including to store certain parts of our site on your device so that those pages load more quickly when you next visit them. You can control the use of local storage using your browser settings.
By proceeding beyond this page, you consent to our cookie and local storage settings and agree that you understand this Cookies Policy which explains how you can manage your cookie and local storage choices and preferences. Please be aware that restricting cookies and/or local storage will impact on your user experience and may prevent you from using part of our website.
Collect information about how you use our site, so that we can improve the quality of our site and service. This information is used by us to:
- Provide statistics on how our site is used;
- See how effective our promotions and site are by identifying where you click and which website you arrived from;
- Provide feedback to our selected third-party partners that one of our visitors also visited their website (including details of any products you bought); and
- Help us improve the site by measuring any errors which occur during your browsing experience.
- Provide you with improved site functionality by allowing access to additional services such as our ‘click to chat’ service or to remember you if you have visited us before and which preferences you have applied so that we can enhance your future visits to our site. These cookies may share information with partners to provide services on our site. The information shared is only to be used to provide the service, product or function and not for any other purpose.
- Offer you a customized browsing experience by providing you with interest-based services both on this site and on some other websites too. Some of these customized browsing experiences may be linked to services provided by third parties which provide these services for recognizing that you have visited our site. This information is used to inform you of RemoteMode products and services which may be of interest to you. These cookies may also link to social networks such as Facebook or provide advertising agencies with information on your visit so that they can present you with adverts for RemoteMode products and services which may be of interest to you.
Some of the cookies used by our site are served by us, and some are served by third parties who are delivering services on our behalf.
We have made it very easy for you to understand what cookies we store, and why and provided you with control over which cookies and/or local storage you choose to allow.
Manage all Cookies
Please note however, that by blocking or deleting cookies and/or local storage used on our site you may not be able to take full advantage of our site if you do so.
We are continually striving to develop improved ways of managing your cookie preferences. As new technologies and solutions emerge, this cookies policy may be updated to reflect any such advances in technology and preference management tools.